As we are nearing the end of another week at home, some of us are starting to run out of ideas as to what to cook. Here is another simple meal that should please the entire family, by Ormer Mayfair's Head Chef Kerth Gumbs.
You will need:
500g penne pasta (macaroni, fusilli or penne are usually my favourites for this dish)
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
3g Maldon salt
100ml olive oil
400g tinned tomatoes
100g Red Leicester cheese
100g cream cheese
50g grated Parmesan
- Place the pasta to cook for 9 minutes in boiling water, then remove and strain. Reserve 200g of this water for the tomato base later.
- Drizzle the pasta with a little oil and leave to the side.
- Place a pan on medium heat with oil, add the chopped onion, carrot, garlic and tinned tomatoes and pour in the pasta water.
- Cook slowly for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat. Place in a baking tray and leave aside.
- In another pan, add the butter, flour, pepper and salt. Cook for 3 minutes slowly – you should have a little paste forming.
- Then add the milk using a whisk and keep whisking until the milk thickens. Once it does, remove from heat add the oregano, all the cream cheese, half the Red Leicester and Parmesan. This should give you a creamy cheese sauce.
- Pour this mix over the pre-cooked pasta, and then pour the pasta onto the tomato mix in the baking tray. - To finish, add the rest of the grated Parmesan on top and place in oven for 12 minutes at 180 degrees.
Let us know how you get on!