The history behind Flemings Mayfair hotel
Flemings Mayfair hotel in London was founded by Robert Fleming in 1851, a date commemorated by the hotel's stained glass window depicting the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace.
Born in 1820 to William Fleming, a victualler, Robert was a servant and valet to the Marquis and Marchioness of Angelsey at 1 Old Burlington Street in London - ideal training for running a high class hotel.
The 1852 London Post Office Directory documents Fleming running a lodging house at 10 Half Moon Street (believed to have originated in 1730). The street was named after the Half Moon public house on the corner where James Boswell, best known for his biography of Samuel Johnson, lodged in 1768.
Half Moon Street has been occupied by nobility, surgeons, physicians, legal professionals... and rogues. George Hudson, MP for Sunderland, had apartments in the hotel between 1855 and 1857. Hudson, the 'Railway King', was a railway promoter and fraudster accused of manipulating the share prices of his companies. As an MP he could not be arrested while Parliament sat, so he lodged at Flemings Hotel.